A map of the parish is available at http://maps.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/gis/?cat=PAR&ref=SAH
In 1974 our Parish was transferred from Berkshire. The parish was created by the Local Government Act 1894, by the division of the parish of Abingdon St. Helen. The part inside Abingdon Municipal Borough became part of Abingdon parish, whilst that part outside became St. Helen Without. It became part of the Abingdon Rural District of Berkshire in 1894, and then part of the Vale of White Horse in Oxfordshire under the Local Government Act 1972.
Joint Neighbourhood Plan Character Assessment
The Joint Wootton and St Helen Without Plan commissioned an expert Character Assessment which provides a wealth of information on the Parish. See St Helen Without Parish Council Joint Neighbourhood Plan Documents 2021
To celebrate the 150th Anniversary of St May Magdalene Church, Shippon Peter King produced a booklet:
The links below provide further historical information:
British History online: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol4/pp416-421 .
The following history of Abingdon Airfield and Dalton Barracks has been provided courtesy of Carter Jonas and Wood Plc.
Historic Post Box. On Faringdon Rd, Shippon. “With the accession of Prince Albert Edward as King George VI in 1936, the GPO continued to use up stocks of George V doors as these were simply marked “GR” with no regnal number. It was not until summer 1937 that boxes began to appear bearing the newly approved Royal Cipher of King George VI.” Wikipedia